Thursday, September 03, 2009

Some pictures of 5th Grade India Block

For many years, we attended Ananda Church of Self-Realization, based on the teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda, so this block was very, very special to me and I drew much of my inspiration for it from all that I had learned at Ananda. Our family still feels a very deep and meaningful connection to Ananda -- sort of a second home to us -- but we are attending a unity church closer to home with a very good program from middle and high school-aged children right now.

I mixed this block with a fair amount from Live Education as well; they truly seem to capture the essence of Ancient India with their lesson plans.

"Hymn to Brahma" -- often chanted at the beginning of a Kirtan ('singing to God') with beautiful music.




"O God Beautiful" -- one of our favorite chants and so easy to relate to!











A story from the life of Krishna.





The Yuga Cycle. This is covered in Live Ed in usual manner that it is taught. However, I chose to use the interpretation of Swami Sri Yukteswar as the basis of our understanding of the Yuga Cycle. My son LOVED this lesson and was fascinated by it.


We also wrote the Gayatri Mantra in Sanskrit; it is hard to see, but if you click on it, you'll get a much better look (as with all the other photos).

No comments: